Monday, July 2, 2012

The third "First day of school" this year

Today was my first day of summerschool. I went together with my german roomate because the boys were not ready on time. We had to take the but to the city center and meet in a really old building that is owned by the University. Since this first course (European politics, blah!) is through the University, we have to go to all their campus locations for classes which are spread out throughout the city. There are 83 students in my class for the next 2 weeks and about 25 of them are doing the six week program that I am doing. The big class consisted of mostly "asians" and a few white people. We had a welcome and introduction and then got right into the history of the European Union. This was all new to me since we did not cover this topic much in school in Canada. After a very long class, we had a 1 hour lunch break. 


The weather outside was beautiful so we got some italian food off the street and enjoyed the sun. Then we walked around a bit more and stumbled across the Dom! I was so excited! I had heard about the biggest church in Holland before but never thought I would just run into it. The doors were open so I went in and there was a small group of people singing together and doing afternoon prayers. It was a beautiful church and reminded me of the pictures of westminster Abbey! We went back to class and went to our seminars. The big class was split into 6 small groups which met in the afternoon for 1.5 hours. Here you can ask more specific questions and get more information on something that was unclear of the lecture spoken earlier. We did a brief quiz and went over some European Geography which was quite tricky for most of us except for the smartie behind me.


It was all quite overwhelming to me and I had to get used to being right back in school, paying attention in lectures and having to write a paper for Wednesday! ahhh! I also have to read 2 chapters of a huge textbook each day. 


I went to look at bikes today but they seemed too expensive for the state they were in. I do need one really bad though because the bus is not cheap either. I will look again tomorrow, as well as for a phone.


I'm exhausted from today and am looking forward to sleeping in a bit tomorrow. I only have class from 1-3!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate