Sunday, July 8, 2012

First weekend in Utrecht

I almost want to start writing these blogs in Dutch because everything I want to say has to do with something Dutch but I would make too many mistakes so we'll keep it in English for now.


One thing I forgot to add on Friday's blog was that a lady jumped off de Dom while we were having class right beside there. I didn't notice anything during class only when I listened to the radio in the afternoon. I did hear some sirens during the lecture but that is pretty normal here. It was very sad to hear that someone would do that. They said it was suicide. Reporters asked if they were going to increase the security at the Dom but they responded by saying that you cannot prevent suicide which is a valid point. It's interesting to hear the debates from either side on these current issues.


Yesterday was a beautiful summer day. Unfortunatly, I had to study and write my assignment. I slept in for most of the morning, worked in the afternoon and went out with Madlen and Elena at night. We biked to de gracht and met Madlen there who had to take the bus. I really wanted to eat at a restaurant by the water and there was tons to choose from! We ended up eating at a Mexican Tapas restaurant. It started to rain but we stayed outside under the umbrellas. It was really cool to see all the local boats come by. Many of them served dinner on the boat so one person was steering, one person was cooking and the rest were just drinking! That would be a super fun thing to do with a group of friends!




Along the gracht (river). Russian Elena is posing on the stairs...
 Elena is kind of weird and is strictly sticking to her Russian ways. She barely eats! We went for supper at 7 and she didn't order anything, not even a water which made me feel really uncomfortable. Madlen and I enjoyed a great meal together. We walked along the streets and did some window shopping since all the stores close at 6, then went home. Elena went to bed while Madlen and I watched another movie and then called it a night. 


Really good, super fresh sangria!



And this is what I opened my curtains to this morning. Rain, Rain, and more heavy Rain. Looks like we'll be staying inside to do our homework today. It's also a little weird how the rain doesn't stop after a little downpoor like in Malaysia or Alberta, it goes on for hours! I better get used to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate