Wednesday, July 4, 2012

A beautiful day in the city!

Today was a great day. I was quite homesick yesterday but today was a lot better. Yesterday, I only had class from 1-3 which was really nice. We get a different lecturer every class but it is all still pretty boring to me since I am not very much interested in European Politics and Economy. Another big thing of yesterday was that I bought a bike! I was tired of paying 2.50 euro for each bus trip so this is a much cheaper option which should pay itself back quickly. I had a coupon that I can use when I bring the bike back in 6 months to get 40% of the sale price back! I love biking around and it only takes about 10 minutes to bike from my place to school.


Today, the class was quite empty because there was a social summerschool student gathering last night in the pub/bar and most people got drunk and didn't get home very early. I wanted to go but no one else was interested so I went to bed early instead which ended up being a very good decision. We had an hour for lunch and my roomates and I (one german and one russian girl) sat outside on a bench and ate our packed lunch! We then walked around and found a great market! I found lots of fresh fish, vegetables, fruit, cheese, and lots of other stuff. This market is EVERY DAY!! I also got a fresh stroopwafel for the girls to try. They said it was too sweet but I loved it. We also walked along the gracht and saw tons of little cafes by the water- this is one thing that I really love about this country. I also bought a mobile phone today so that I can communicate with others. Unfortunately, it doesn't work yet because it is a used phone and there is a password on it that wasn't give to me. I guess I'll have to go back to the store tomorrow to get this sorted out. After school, I walked around the streets some more by myself because I had to wait for my 3:30 bank appointment. I almost got lost but made it to the bank on time. Then they made me wait for over 30 minutes because of mis-communication. I ordered a card and it should be in the mail within a week.


My new bike with 3 gears, hand breaks and a heavy duty lock

The market

Stroopwafel at the market
Overall,  it was a busy day and I got a lot of stuff done. The sun is still shining and it is beautiful outside. Tonight, I'm going to ride my bike to see where we have to meet tomorrow morning for our trip to Brussels. We have to get on the bus by 7am so hopefully everyone will make it on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate