Thursday, June 7, 2012

Last lecture and Workshops

Yesterday was our last lecture. We listened to Chaz Skinner who used to be the dean of Fine Arts at the UofL. He went to Malaysia with his students on a work study similar to the one I am on and fell in love. He has been teaching at a university here for 3 years and absolutely loves it. He want's to go back to Canada again after this year though. It was really interesting to hear about the differences in education systems.

After that, we had cake to celebrate Ali's 22nd birthday. All 14 of us went out to Changkat Bukit Bintang to have some drinks and dance the night away. Luckily, it was ladies night so we had free drinks all night long. We didn't stay that long though since everyone had to work again in the morning. It was a lot of fun, and even some people from work came to join in the fun!

Today was our workshop day. In the first two weeks that I have been here, I had to promote programs at Perfection including the UNSW english course. This course would include a free workshop that Jessica and I were leading. It is nice to see the direct marketing results because the students in the classes came because we told them to come! We did 3 workshops in total today at 3 different locations: Kepong, Subang Jaya, and Rawang. There were 19, 33, and 17 students in the classes. Some of them were fun but I had a really hard time getting to some of the really shy students that did not want to participate or felt like they couldn't do it. It was also hard because we had a broad age range from 10-18 years old. Each workshop was one and a half hours long so it took us all day to do them.

After it was done, we treated ourselves to some delicious frozen yoghurt from Tutti Frutti! This is a self serve place. On one wall, there are all kinds of frozen yoghurt and sherbert flavors, then there are about 30 different toppings. You just choose a container, fill it up with whatever you want, they weigh it and it was RM5.30 per 100g. Fantastic!

Then we had to wait for the train to go home. We had to wait for over 30 minutes and then take another 40 minutes to get to our stop. Jessica really wanted a massage so I went with her to help her find a good place. We came upon a Thai massage place and decided to get one. Wow, Thai massages are something different. The massage lady stood on me and cracked almost every bone in my body it felt like. The worst was when she cracked my neck! Ouch!

On the way to the apartment, I grabbed some supper from the cafe that is very close. They had a chicken stuffed roti on special so that's what I had with some vegetables on the side.

Overall, it was a long but great day! I'm happy that the workshops are over which means that our work is almost done too. 9 more days and I am on a plane back to cold Canada again... I am not looking forward to going back but do want to see my family again. I'll have to soak in the sun tomorrow in sunny Malaka!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate