Yesterday, we went on a food adventure after work. Rhonda, our second instructor came to join us. I had to pick her up form the commuter train since she had no idea where to go. Since it was very hot, I got the school bus driver to take me! We showed Rhonda around Perfection and then got in the boss' car and drove to Damansara Utama (one of the perfection locations is here).
We started the food adventure with some shaved ice to cool down. This is very asian and I'm not a big fan of it. He ordered two kinds for us to try and scooped us a very big bowl. The closest is a coconut/soy shaved ice with pearl jelly, two kinds of sweet potato and squishy, slimy taro. The coconut was nice. The next one was a grass jelly with shaved ice with the taro, red beans and pearl jelly on top. This one was pretty gross but everyone else liked it. Mr. Christopher said that this was not going to make us full as it was all water but I definitely got full after just a little bit- water fills too!
 |
| Shaved ice treats at Snowflake |
After snowflake, we walked around to start our digestion and looked at all the beautiful boutiques in the area. We came an local open foodcourt and looked around at all the food. Here we tried some Prawn Mee (Mee means noodle). It was fantastic! The best part and most expensive was the broth. This is signature and they have spent many years to perfect it. It was super fragrant and tasty with the right amount of spice.
 |
| This was the guy making our Prawn Mee on the spot in the open food court |
 |
| Mmmm! So good and quite healthy too but hard to eat with chopsticks. I made a big mess. |
After the prawn mee, we walked around the food court some more. I was surprised by how fresh everything was and the vendors were using very local ingredients.
 |
| These are some of the fresh ingredients used. You can see the fresh ginger and the ginger flower, pretty cool! |
Then we tried some Muah Chee. As you can see on the picture below, it is boiled gooey rice dough cut into small pieces and coated with peanuts and sugar. The texture was that of raw bread dough and it was still warm. Very different but I liked it a lot!
 |
| Here are some more fresh ingredients. Fresh fish, clams, and stingray |
 |
| Satay in different marinades using different kinds of meat |
 |
| Also, everywhere around the city, in the most awkward locations, you see random sinks. This was a nicer one. Here people can wash their hands. Since the Muslim people eat with their right hand and clean themselves with their left hand, this is pretty handy. However, there are never towels anywhere, the air has to dry the hands. |
 |
| We came across a grocery store and went inside to see what they offered. This one had a great variety of fresh fruits and vegetables. They were all very reasonably priced too. |
Rhonda had to be dropped off at the apartment at 8:30 which was only halfway though our adventure because she had to deal with some room issued due to a power outage. Our boss didn't like this because he had a whole route planned out and now he had to make a big detour to drop her off. Therefore, he was going to take us somewhere close to our apartment for more food but we mutually decided to go to the original place since it was much better according to him. This was another open food court in SS2 close to the One Utama mall. The drive there was long and winding so I obviously got car sick again. This sucked because I was really looking forward to this food. Mr. Christopher and Jessica went around to all the places and ordered different food everywhere. It got delivered to our table and I was in charge of paying all the people for the food. Luckily, I started feeling better near the end of the meal so I got to eat all their leftovers. It was all local and really delicious!
 |
| The last local, open food court |
 |
| This was so good, especially the red sausage. It was very sweet. |
 |
| Here's a photo of all the food their ordered. The first yellow plate was fresh mango with sweet sticky rice- a nice dessert. On the first red plate was a fresh fish, cooked in a curry sauce in a banana leaf. The red plate behind that had a grilled fish. Both the fish dishes had long beans and okra as garnishes on the side which I really enjoyed! The yellow plate in the back had a mango salad but it was way too spicy for me. The blue plate had prawns inside of rice stuff. I didn't like the texture, it was really gooey. The back green plate had the mee with sausage and prawns which was good too but a little greasy. |
 |
| When walking back to the car, we came across a fruit stand. Mr. Christopher bought us some rambutans (the far red, hairy fruit). They are really sweet, close to a lychee but a bit different with a big pit like an almond in the middle. |
After all the food, we had to go for a walk again so we didn't feel that full. He was going to take us to a night market but it was very quiet there so he decided to show us the night life that he used to enjoy. We went to some bars but most were closed or very empty. He showed us the inside of a few bars but I wasn't that impressed. He then dropped us off at the apartment at 11pm. It was a good night but a long day so I went to bed soon after.
No comments:
Post a Comment