Today I got up really early to go to Flora Holland in Aalsmeer to see the biggest auction system in the world. It was about 1 hour away and was in full swing when we arrived. We took a tour of a small part of the place which was very informative. This auction runs 24/7 with trucks driving in and out of there all day long, 5 days a week.
 |
| The flowers are put on these carts and driven around like trains through the ginormous building |
 |
| This is one of the auction rooms for cut flowers. Below, there were two auctioneers, one in each corner. There was an automatic train of flowers in each ring and the details were displayed on the screen above. It only takes a couple seconds to sell a whole cart and this goes on from 6 am to mid morning! Very impressive! |
 |
| Millions of flowers to sell for today |
Our tour lady told us that we only walked about 3 km in our tour and that was only from the main entrance to one of the auction rooms. The place is so bit, it is the size of an island but I forgot the name of the island.
After Flora Holland, we travelled to Haarlem to the regional parliament. Here we were greeted with coffee and tea and then had to listen to a number of speeches and lectures. After this, the provided us with lunch!!
 |
| Laura and I at the regional parliament in Haarlem |
 |
| Free Lunch! |
 |
| Everyone enjoying lunch |
After lunch, we got a few hours to sight see in Haarlem as they said it was one of the best places for shopping in Holland. Laura and I were on a mission and we saw a lot of stores. The shopping was fun but I cannot say that it is the BEST...
 |
| Haarlem city center |
That night was our party night as some of the students will be leaving this weekend and the rest of our night were already booked. It was a fun night but I got home early because it was a long day and I needed my sleep!
 |
| Proost! |
No comments:
Post a Comment