Friday, August 10, 2012

Beer. Enough said

On Wednesday was our excursion to Amsterdam to visit the Heneken Experience. This is the old factory that has been turned into a museum. It was very interactive and took us well over 2 hours to walk through. It included everything from the company history, to how to make beer to interactive games and tasting!

The four components to making beer- we got to taste each one

big kettles for roasting the grain



Horses were used back then

And the best part of course! Everyone got 2 free beers with their entry ticket


Beer wall

Testing my tapping skills- i\m not very good.

After the tour, we walked through the streets of Amsterdam for a bit and then went back to Utrecht on the bus to work on our assignments. I was so tired that night that I don't remember when I went to bed but I woke up the next morning with my clothes still on! 
We've been doing really well in the marketing simulation game. We were in first place for a long time but then reconfigured one of our products so we went to second place. Hopefully my group will be able to bring us back up today. They have to give a final presentation and input numbers for one more quarter today.
Overall, it was a good course because I could finally put my 3 years of learning into practice. The bad part was that the other students did not know much about business so I could have got more out of it. At least they tested my basic business skills and I was able to explain to them why things were the way they were.

Yesterday was the day to pack up our rooms again and clean up the apartment. Surprisingly, everything fit into my suitcase after throwing away a bit of stuff. It's nice that I don't have to worry about the weight because I am not flying anywhere. It just sucks to haul these heavy suitcases through the streets and in and out of trains.

Today was the day to say goodbye and leave the Utrecht Summerschool. I woke up early because class started at 9:15 and I needed to give my key to Madlen to hand in for me. Everything was going smoothly. I made it to the bus right on time and jumped in the train as it was about to leave. Unfortunately, it said in the train that I was going to Leeuwarden and not Groningen. I did some research using the free wifi on the train and saw that I could get out in Zwolle and get into the Groningen train. I asked the conductor and he pointed me to the "right" train. This one was just leaving as well so I jumped in again- Unfortunately again, I should have jumped into one cart further because I was once again in the train to Leeuwarden while the front half of the train left to Groningen :( This is not my day. But now I will get to see Friesland and I am just taking a touristic route back to Loppersum. It should only add to my travel time by 1 hour so I hope I don't make any more travel mistakes today.

Tonight is the big wedding I have been looking forward to for a long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate