Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Details

Here are the details as to what exactly I will be doing and where I will be going. 


1. On Wednesday, I am travelling to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia to do a management work study. I will be working from Monday to Friday for six weeks at Perfection Training Academy. My job there will be in the marketing department of the school. I don't exactly know what that involves but I'll find out soon enough. On Wednesday night we'll have lectures from local business people to learn about several different aspects of business in Malaysia. There is a group of about 16 students from the University of Lethbridge going on this trip. We'll be staying in a full serviced apartment in the heart of Kuala Lumpur. At the end of the six weeks, I will fly back to Calgary to see my family and repack for the next phase of my adventure.


2. At the end of June, I will travel to The Netherlands to attend the summer school in Utrecht. This is another six week program geared for international students from around the world. I will be studying "Doing Business in Europe" which is an intense combination for three courses (European Politics and Economy, European Business Skills, and a Management Simulation in Marketing). This also includes a week long study trip to Italy and many day trips to various businesses, the flower auction, the European Union head office in Brussels and much more. This will be done in the middle of August which will give me a short break until the fall semester.


3. The last thing I am doing this year is a fall semester at the Hogeschool Utrecht as a management exchange student. I will be studying in the marketing and commerce subject area and completing the International Business Skills module. In The Netherlands, instead of picking individual classes to take, you have to choose a module which is a combination of classes that contribute towards your degree. On one hand, it is much easier because I didn't have to pick out of hundreds of classes and then fit them together into a schedule but on the other hand, there are some classes in each module that I have already completed or that didn't interest me. The Dutch semester lasts until the end of January but I am leaving at the end of December and writing my finals in Lethbridge. I will be staying for Christmas and New Years in The Netherlands and then returning home to Canada to continue in my studies there.


So that's the plan! I hope to stick to it and am excited to take part of all these new opportunities and experiences.





This is a map of my three flights to Malaysia on Wednesday (May 2, 2012). I'll be travelling for approximately three days which will be terrible but there's no way around it. The flight to Vancouver is about an hour, then from Vancouver to Hong Kong is 13 hours and 10 minutes(!), and then from Hong Kong to Kuala Lumpur is about three hours and a bit. Add that to three/four hours of layover time in between and a ridiculous time difference (16 hours!) and you'll probably get a crazy jet lag! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate